My beef stew. Beef stew meat breaks down and becomes more tender the longer you cook. Two hours is typically the sweet spot for beef stew unless you’re cooking a slow-cooker stew. You can also follow our best tips for tenderizing meat.
We just got back from Los Angeles. This beef stew is the ultimate, hearty, melt-in-your mouth comfort food of all, and so easy to make in the Instant Pot® for a simple midweek dinner. Add the beef, beef broth and bay leaves. You can have My beef stew using 16 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of My beef stew
- It’s 3 lbs of stewing beef (or boneless beef chuck in 1 1/2 pcs.
- You need 3 tsp of salt, divided.
- Prepare 2 tsp of ground pepper.
- It’s 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.
- It’s of Approx 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (may need a bit more).
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
- Prepare 3 of finely chopped sun dried tomatoes.
- You need 1 of large onion, halved and sliced (i used Spanish onion).
- Prepare 1 1/2 lbs of yellow potatoes cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- You need 1 pound of carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces.
- It’s 3/4 cup of red wine.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of beef broth.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of worchester sauce.
- You need 1 can of tomato paste (6 ozs).
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- You need 1 of large bay leaf or two small.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. Warm up with a bowl of a classic stew that never goes out of style. These terrific beef stew recipes are the perfect antidote for a hectic week or for entertaining guests. Warm up with a bowl of a classic stew that never goes out of style.
My beef stew step by step
- Place beef in a large bowl and season with 2 tsp salt and the pepper. Add flour and toss to coat. Shake off the excess flour, putting the beef a in another bowl, reserving the excess flour as well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil is heated, cook 1/3 of the beef and cook until brown on all sides, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a 6 quart slow cooker. Continue cooking beef in batches (three batches total) adding oil as needed, transferring to slow cooker when done..
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan and reduce heat to medium heat. Add onion, chopped dried tomatoes and garlic to the pan. Cover with lid and cook on low medium heat about 8 minutes until soft. Add onion mix to the crock pot along with the potatoes and carrots. Add wine to the pan, increase the temperature to medium high heat, and bring the wine to just bubbling, scraping off any brown bits in the pan. Pour into the slow cooker..
- Whisk the tomato paste into the reserved flour. Whisk in the broth, worchester, thyme and remaining salt. Add the bay leaves, add this mixture to the slow cooker. Mix all ingredients well (i had to split the stew at this point between the slow cooker and the original flour bowl just to get it mixed properly). Add all back to slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 1/2 hours. Enjoy!!.
These terrific beef stew recipes are the perfect antidote. Stir in beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, thyme, rosemary, paprika, caraway seeds and bay leaves until well combined; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Making beef stew is very simple! Yes, it is possible to overcook a beef stew. As much as we like the idea of a stew that sits on the stove all day long, too much time will result in dry beef and mushy veggies.